Sunday, March 22, 2009

Make it: Miniature Sponge Cake & Pie


Make it: Miniature Sponge Cake & Pie


Miniature Sponge Cake
Materials:
flat, expandable sponges, yellow and pink
pen
quarter
scissors
Folkart - wicker white paint
craft glue
mini ribbons
mini beads
large button

1. Trace the bottom of a paint bottle onto flat sponges (2 on the yellow and 1 on the pink). Cut out circles and glue the three together with the "icing" (pink) layer in the middle .

2. Cut a small triangle from the circle (this will be a piece of cake). Wet the sponges, let expand and set aside to dry.

3. Paint the top and sides (not the inside) of the cake with white craft paint and let dry. Using glue, attach ribbon (frosting) around the outer edge and glue beads in a daisy pattern to the top of the cake.


Miniature Pie Materials:
bottle caps
tan felt
red seed beads (or color to match fruit of choice)
Quick Hold craft glue

1. Cut a thin strip of tan felt to fit the inside rim of the bottle cap and glue in place.


2. Put a small amount of glue on the inside bottom of the cap, fill cap with seed beads and cover with glue.

3. Cut very thin strips of tan felt; crisscross felt strips over the beads to form a woven crust.





18 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:45 PM

    So cuuuuuuuuute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:15 PM

    Super cute. I envy you ;) I had one son, no girlie toys like this for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:17 PM

    I'm loving the miniature series. I have a fat quarter of the 'tablecloth'! I hope there's more :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:44 PM

    This will be great for April Fool's Day! Thanks for the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:11 AM

    Oh, yay! I love miniatures, and these are great... it's a trick of looking at things a little differently.

    If you want to do this stuff with polymer clay, consider checking out Angie Scarr's work (if you haven't before) -- it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute. My mom is cleaning out storage and sent me all of my Barbies. I might have to make them some snacks after their long journey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute!! I love miniatures!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cute!! I love minatures!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cathie,
    I made these from your tutorial. Oh my, they turned out so cute!!! I gave them to my Hubby for his Birthday as a whimsical little gift. He thought it was a cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:54 AM

    you copied this girl:
    http://whimsy-girl.blogspot.com/2008/09/tiny-sponge-cake-tutuorial.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Actually Anonymous!!! She clearly states that she saw this project on my TV show Creative Juice. Get your facts straight before you accuse please.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You actually inspire me to make mini cupcakes. Check it out at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute blog!! :)

    Looove the cake, even if it is make-believe! Sooo yummy still...

    Thanks for sharing it with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous10:16 AM

    This is so cute! I found some antique bottle caps in a second hand shopand made some earings, a ring, and when I saw this, I had to put my own spin on it! I made a little pumpkin pie for my mom and she loved it! I'm thinking of making it a magnet...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous1:37 PM

    Hi can you please tell me will creative juice come out on dvd to buy. If yes, where will I be able to buy it from online as i live in Australia.
    Thankyou kindly

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and questions. Sometimes it takes me a few days to reply. Have a wonderful day!

Cathie

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...